jump to navigation

Codega Exchange Continued March 29, 2009

Posted by truthspew in Uncategorized.
trackback

The exchange continues. Here’s my latest response to him with his message included.

What I see as the crux is that you religious views help form your civic an societal views. You most certainly can express them but when it crosses the line and impedes my liberties we have an issue.

And you make a very interesting point in your first paragraph. How would I feel indeed. The 19th century philosopher Alisdair MacIntyre who coined the term ’emotivism’ which is defined as making evaluative judgments based on feeling or perception. That seems to provide the chasm between supporters and opponents of marriage equality in RI.

This is most evident in the people who got up to speak, talking about the children. As a good friend of mine says, having two male or two female parents is actually just as good as having a male/female pair. He should know, he’s a psychologist. I know of the case which was spoken, it was that of Rob and Robin Wirthlin in MA. They had their feelings hurt because their son had read the book “King and King” at school. And the one woman who got up to talk about New Bedford was laughable, as another of my friends is a school administrator in New Bedford and he’s never seen any such move.

I consider the arguments of those above to be straw-man arguments. Most of it boils down to the fact that these people, and I include you in this grouping to some degree find homosexual activity distasteful, evidenced by the “The parts don’t fit” statement that evening.

As to our Puritan/Protestant roots, it is no wonder the British allowed the expeditions to the New World. They were able to get rid of all their religious misfits. And those Catholic immigrants, lets call them what they really were because I’m descended from them myself. They were Italians or Irish. Interestingly this helps form my opinion on the immigrant issues of today. My partner has a slight streak of that discrimination but his is based more on linguistic elements. I had to remind him that until the 1970’s you rarely heard anything but Italian spoken on Federal Hill.

My labeling of you as a smooth talker is actually somewhat incorrect. You’ve got a pretty good knowledge of the gospel. The line from the 1980’s song “Da Do Do Do” by the Police says it best “Poets, priests and politicians have words to thank for their positions.”

Certainly Dr. Crew’s story had the emotional punch necessary to move the crowd. It’s why the religious arguments seem to fall flat, I suppose it’s because it talks about events that are several thousand years in the past. Society changes, so too does the interpretation of the Bible. In essence do you really think most people would live their lives by the rules of Leviticus today? Or as I asked in my favorite misogynistic quote, 1 Timothy 2:11, that is one I seriously doubt that women of today could abide.

Regarding Chesterton, I think that perhaps he got it just a little bit wrong.

Tony

Rev. John Codega wrote:
> Tony
>
> You say, “In essence, keep your religious views to yourself.” My public, civic, societal views are not my religious views. Yes, I am proud that some if not all have been formed by my faith but they are of no less my right to express than yours. I am sort of surprised as self professed non-believer you would make such a statement. Why wouldn’t you be apathetic to my religion? How would you feel if I said, and I never would, keep your non-religious opinions to yourself. Your passion, your education, your knowledge is your faith and you profess it freely, why shouldn’t I?
>
> As you know the voice of the Catholic church in this country has never gone unchecked by civil authority. Our puritan roots and protestant foundations made sure the Church would have little voice. Catholic immigrants were treated as near-slaves. You recall President Kennedy’s election was only after he assured the nation he would not bow to the Vatican. Today the Church represents about one-fourth of our nations voters – fewer of whom vote the strict principles of the Faith, unfortunately.
>
> I suppose I appreciate you labeling me as a smooth talker when clearly I was the least eloquent of all the panelist Friday night. The emotional diatribe of Ms. Tristan and Reprehensive Ferri where almost admirable all be they void of facts. Dr. Loui Crew’s story of his former student memorial kisses had half the audience in tears. Talk about smooth!
>
> I recall it was Chesterton who said, “every time someone knocks at the doors of a brothel, he is searching for God.”
>
> Peace to you
>
> Fr. Codega
>
> Rev. John Codega
> Church of Christ the King
> 130 Legris Avenue
> Centreville, RI 02893
> 401.821.9228
> http://www.christthekingwwri.org
> http://www.rimosj.org
> http://www.catholicpriest.com
>
>

All I can say is that this is great fun. Note the use of Reprehensive Ferri for Representative Ferri? I emailed this off to Ferri, can’t wait to get his take on it.

Advertisements

Comments»

No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: